Jobs and New Additions

My garden has been enjoying the bouts of heavy rain we’ve been having recently, everything is thriving and some of my veggies are starting to flower. Peas, potatoes and runner beans are the first off the block and we’ve had a few strawberries too.


The potatoes growing in compost bags. Slugs got the leaves but they’re still good

Peas 

Runner beans and most of my pot collection
I managed to get a few chicken related jobs crossed off the list today between showers, I added a piece of clear vinyl to the side of the run where the rain goes straight off the shed and into the run. Not long after, we were hit with such heavy rain it came in from every angle anyway!

Shed shield
The girls tried to help.

I also diy’d a new chicken feeder and drinker, I’m not a fan of traditional feeders as they get so messy and I always get soaked by the waterers. The food tub is a loaf pan and the waterer is two takeaway boxes! I hung the loaf tin up with cup hooks and for the waterer, I screwed the first tub to the wall then sat the other inside so it’s easy to take out and clean. I did have the water in a loaf pan too for a while but it ended up rusting. I’m on the hunt for a deeper tub now.

Chicken feeder and waterer

My Pea Teepee is coming along nicely, although its got a bit of a lean. It grows so fast that every day I go out and thread the new shoots into the teepee frame. I find it so satisfying when the little hooks on the end of the tendrils grab onto the string of the frame. 

Pea Teepee

It’s not going to be the dramatic structure I had in my mind but it’s pretty cute! The littlest can fit inside anyway.

Our newest editions to the Summerhill Back Garden Farm will be Quails! They went into the incubator yesterday and I can’t help stopping and staring at them whenever I walk past even though I know nothing will happen until day 18. We’re doing a bit of an experiment in that we bought 12 fertile eggs off eBay and 12 eggs from our local grocers as I’ve been reading lately of lots of people who have success hatching shop chicken, duck and quail eggs. The shop ones are a lot smaller so it’ll be interesting to see what we get if they do hatch.


My new Lumia 8 Incubator, shop bought eggs and fertile eggs

Shop bought eggs

Fertile eggs from eBay (you really can buy anything)

Let’s do this! Come on babies!

I have a tub ready for the brooder and a new hutch on the deck for when they’re big enough to go outside. I’m hoping for some kid free time soon so I can paint it a lovely sage green and add some screening to keep them from kicking everything out. First though, I can’t wait to hold those tiny fluff balls!

Jenny
X











Comments

Popular Posts