Feathers and Food

Welcome to my new blog, Summerhill Back Garden Farm!

Due to the current Covid 19 situation, my lovely sewing business has been put on hold so I can look after my children while the schools are closed. (My kids are also lovely btw). One of the positives of being home is I’ve had some decent time to work in the garden.

Herbs by the back door


I have dreams of living on a small holding one day, with chickens and ducks and a goat for milk and it will happen! For now I’m happy to turn our garden into a mini small holding all of our own.

We began with our lovely chickens, Phoenix, Margot and Amanda. We actually had these planned way before lockdown began but they arrived in the first week and I can honestly say they have helped me so much during the last few months. Watching them pottering about, seeing their personalities coming through has been so relaxing.

Margot, Amanda and Phoenix enjoying a drink.
And the eggs! You cannot beat a freshly laid egg, the yolk bright orange and delicious. I will never get sick of poached egg sandwiches on white bread.

Next came the plants and I went a bit plant pot crazy. So much so that even my 12 year old daughter rolls her eyes when she sees another pile of pots arrive. That and seeds. I partly blame Monty Don. I ordered 15 packs of flower and herb seeds after I watched a Sunday morning episode of Gardeners World and when they arrived, I couldn’t remember what half of them were. It’ll be a nice surprise when they grow I suppose.

The bottom tier of our garden, which also contains my studio, became my project area. The chickens currently take up most of it but it also has a host of pots containing herbs, veg, fruit and flowers as well as the Pea Teepee.

The current chicken set up


Amanda. She’s a bit of a madam.


Pots galore


Stole these out of the hubby’s garage to plant in


Help from the littlest


I currently have potatoes, peas, runner beans, strawberries, basil, thyme, oregano, lemon basil, tarragon, winter purslane, lettuce and loads more! Here’s the Pea TeePee when we first planted it:


It’s just starting to flower so I’ll post some updated photos very soon!

I’m having so much fun spending time outside, seeing things grow, and getting to eat the fruits of my labour. We have lots more plans in the works that I cant wait to get started on!

Jenny
X







Comments

Popular Posts